Title: World Wai Kru Muay Thai Ceremony and Miracle Muay Thai Festival
Location: Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya
Description: The ancient capital of Ayutthaya is home to the annual World Thai Martial Arts Festival and Wai Khru Muay Thai Ceremony. For individuals trained in the ancient Thai art of boxing or ‘Muay Thai’, the annual Wai Khru Muay Thai Ceremony held during the annual Thai Martial Arts Festival is the most important date on their calendar. Muay Thai boxers from around the world return to Ayutthaya to pay respect to their teachers, and to pay homage to the legendary Muay Thai folk hero, Nai Khanom Tom.
Each year, more than 300 boxers from 30 countries including the UK, Canada, Russia, Korea, France, Ukraine, and South Africa, participate in the festival and show their appreciation for the beautiful art of Muay Thai.
There will also be a Muay Thai tournament with boxers contending for the Nai Khanom Tom belt with a cash prize for the weight divisions of 60, 65, 70, and 80 kilograms. There will also be a Wai Khru competition for students.
For the PROGRAMME
1. World Wai Kru Muay Thai Ceremony
Wat Mahathat on 17 March, 2012.
08.00- 10.00 hrs. – Attend the rituals to worship Nai Khanom Tom at the Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Stadium.
14.00 – 15.00 hrs. – See the youth contest in the Wai Kru Muay Thai or respect paying ceremony.
17.00 – 18.00 hrs. – Learn and enjoy the demonstrations of Thai arts, handicrafts, and culture, including the Traditional Thai Tattoo, making of Aranyik swords, performing of Thai martial arts, and an exhibition of ancient weapons.
18.00 – 20.00 hrs. – Wai Kru Muay Thai ceremony, worshipping Thai ancestral kings and brave soldiers who protected the motherland; namely, King Naresuan the Great, King Suea, and Phraya Phichai Dap Hak.
20.00 – 22.00 hrs. – Welcome reception. See the demonstrative performance of “Amazing Thai Elephants”.
2. Miracle Muay Thai Festival
Ayutthaya Tourism Centre during 17-18 March, 2012.
16.00 – 20.00 hrs. – See the championship match to win the W.P.M.F Belt under the “Miracle Muay Thai Festival” programme. Enjoy the professional Muay Thai competition of Thai and foreign boxers.
– See the master boxing arts of Muay Thai, Muay Boran, Muay Khat Chueak, and Muay Chaiya.
– See the boxing of Thai youth boxers, the successors of the world heritage Thai sport.
– Learn about Muay Thai with Thai boxing camps equipped with standards of teaching and training venues.
– Participate in activities of fun with TAT at the Fotofest Booth.
– See, sample, and buy food and goods at the Market receiving only “Phot Duang” money.
3. Thai Martial Arts Festival
Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Stadium during 19-22 March, 2012.
14.00 – 22.00 hrs. – See the boxing match to win the Nai Khanom Tom Belt. Enjoy the amateur Muay Thai competition of international boxers.
– See the exhibition of “Nai Khanom Tom-styled Muay Thai” boxing.
– See the competitions of petanque and Se-pak Takraw. (22 March, 2012)
– See, sample, and buy OTOP food and goods.
– See various forms of entertainment and activities.
4. Training and Competitions
Supphachalasai National Stadium, Bangkok, during 16-23 March, 2012, (except 17 March, 2012).
– Amateur World Championships
– Amateur Muay Thai World Championships
– Pro-Am Muay Thai World Championships
– Muay Thai Training and Seminars, 13-23 March, 2012.
Category: Art and Culture, Boxing
Suitable for: All types of travelers
Start Date: 2012-03-17
End Date: 2012-03-18